Monday, August 14, 2006

Mustard – Good Time Comin’


Mustard –Good Time Comin’/ I Saw I Heard –EMI 2165 (UK 1974)

I’m amazed at the quantity (and yes –sometimes quality) of Glam singles still to be discovered out there. This single by Mustard is another prime corker. This single is loud and I mean really LOUD, it literally burst out from the vinyl…It’s a real heavy Cruncher, but without any Hard Rock histrionics. It has a great overdriven guitar sound, non-stop handclaps and a very peculiar pseudo-Rockabilly guitar break accentuated by a honking sax…and the handclapping storm-troopers march on and on throughout… The B side is really good too with its metallic clanging power chords, wild guitar solo and… yes, handclaps! Glam as the new Freakbeat? –discuss at your leisure…

Click in title for soundclip




6 comments:

Trudi said...

Nurse, the screens! It's a bit "Long Tall Woman In A Black Dress", as played by the Chicago of "25 or 6 to 4", and then everyone in the communal showers after with "Rock'n'Roll Part 1" and various members of "Na Na... etc" Steam! I think I'm going to need one of these!

Anonymous said...

Mustard – Good Time Comin'

I's a cover version of the excellent BITCH track !

Robin Wills said...

Hi Tony
The Bitch original was reviewed on October the 6th

Anonymous said...

What a BRILLIANT and FAB disc!!!! Where are MUSTARD now ??????
They should be back !!!

Anonymous said...

Who has sampled that riff?? I've heard it before but only heard the full song on WKDU in Philly last night. That led me here, which was serendipitous, and I'll be perusing this blog for a good long time. Could that riff have possibly been used in a commercial? Hard to believe,

tg said...

The band UNKLE sampled it for 'restless'. doesn't look like they cleared it either. naughty, naughty..