Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ellie Greenwich –You Don’t Know

Ellie Greenwich –You Don’t Know/ Baby –Red Bird RB 10-034 (US 1965)


Masterfully produced By Shadow Morton and Jeff BarryYou Don’t Know is a big tasteful production that’s totally built on mood, atmosphere and emotion. Ellie’s vocal performance is simply breathtaking. She sings with an enchanting quaver in her voice that is just so heartbreakingly pure, it really gives you shivers down your spine. The timbales and double bass bestow depth and foundation to the general frisson and the deep echo cloaks the haunting performance. You don’t know what I’ve been going through… The lyrics are enigmatic. Who exactly is she pinning for? You can imagine that the sentiment is akin to the Secret Love episode in Grace Of My Heart…The mystery is all there, make up your own mind

You don't know what I've been going through

Since the day I laid eyes on you
You don't know how hard it is to hide
All my love (baby) deep inside
And I'll pray that's the way it's gonna stay
Day by day I'll just pretend 'cause she's my friend
And I can't let her know I really love you so, oh oh
Won't somebody help me?
Oh help me, please help me, oh

You don't know what I've been going through
'Cause till I die (baby) I'll love you
And I'll try not to cry when you walk by
'Cause she's just like a sister to me and she, yes she
Is so in love with you, I don't know what to do, no oh
Won't somebody help me? Oh help me, I love you, oh
You don't know what I've been going through

Since the day I laid eyes on you
You don't know what I've been goin' through
Don't know what I'm goingto do
'Cause till I die baby I'll love you


It had taken me quite a few years to find a copy of the original single, this was not helped by the fact that the B side Baby is highly prized by Northern Soul collectors, but whatever the cost, You Don’t Know is a priceless masterpiece.

2 comments:

The Time Machine said...

Great praise for a wonderful record!

jonas43 said...

What a great way to start a year: I eventually came by this song on a CD "The girl Groups - Vol.2" (Rhino) via New Zealand (!), havin read about this underrated masterpiece in "Mojo" on the sad occasion of Elli´s death.

Up to that I never even knew who was behind this "Greenwich" that I had read connected to so many of my favourite tunes.

Her performance touches me deeply.

Elli surely is writing and singing in Rock´n´Roll heaven in the
All-Star-Band.

Jonas, Germany